John Drennan has worked at the top level of journalism and politics for two decades.
He has an extensive list of media and political contacts and is respected across all media and political parties.
During his time as a top-line reporter and columnist for Ireland’s top selling Sunday broadsheet; the Sunday Independent for two decades, he was as much a brand as an employee.
He has also worked for Magill and Village magazines and has regularly appeared on:
- Pat Kenny
- Sean O’Rourke
- The Week in Politics
- Prime Time
- Tonight with Vincent Browne
- The Last Word
- The Newstalk Breakfast Show
John has also published four critically acclaimed books:
- Cute Hoors and Pious Protestors; Traits and Characteristics of the Irish Politician 2011
- Fifty Dail Debates that Shaped the Republic 2012
- Paddy Machiavelli How the Irish Prince Secures Power 2014
- The Great Betrayal 2015
- Lateral and analytical thinking
- Ability to meet swift and changing work deadlines
- A high capacity to research and simplify complex data
- A strong suite of communication skills
- Speech writing, policy and event management
- Crisis management and troubleshooting
- Strong diplomatic and inter-personal skills
John Whelan No one knows more about local media than John Whelan.
John is the former editor of the Leinster Express and subsequently became a Senator.
John has expertise in writing, editing and campaign organisation.
He has an extensive contacts list in local and national politics and media and is also a published author.
Recent campaign successes include curbing the rise of wind-farms and taking on Eirgrid and the EPA.
John was a Labour Senator from 2011- 2016.
Previous to that from 2008 to 2009 he was Group Managing Editor Voice Newspapers, Kilkenny and the editor of the Irish Entrepreneur Magazine.
From 2006 to 2008 he was Editor of the Leinster Leader and also spent 16 years from 1990 to 2006 as the Editor of the Leinster Express and Offaly Express Newspapers, Portlaoise and Tullamore.
During this period the Leinster Express established itself as the leading selling regional newspaper in the country at that time, pro rata to its population base, with 78% verified market penetration.
John also worked for RTE, the Irish Press, Sunday Business Post, Sunday Independent, Irish Independent, specialising in politics, current affairs, the arts and the environment.
He was the Founding director of the Laois Arts Festival, the Portlaoise Jazz Festival and the Mountmellick Mardi Gras.
John also edited and published the top selling cookery books: Jim's Kitchen.
- Motivated, committed, focussed and passionate
- Energy, enthusiasm and experience
- Capable of working long hours alone or acting as a dedicated team player
- Inspiring and managing others
- Leading from the front
- Speech writing, policy & strategic development, event management
- Creative & innovative concept origination and implementation
- Editing and publishing